Cedric Caffy's departure preparation
This ticket is created to document the modalities of my departure, what I am currently doing and what are all the important remaining tickets I did not have the time to do for now. Please do not hesitate to add any remarks/questions about my departure in the comments of the ticket.
Date of departure + how it will happen
I will no longer be in the section Monday the 1st of March 2021. I will be in the IT-ST-PDS (Physics Data Services) section working on EOS (development + operations).
In order to have a smooth transition from CTA to EOS, it was agreed with Luca that I will still be working on CTA after the 1st of March. BUT, there will be a ramp down of my activity on CTA and a ramp up of my activity on EOS as time passes. I do not know the pace at which this ramp-down-ramp-up will go.
What I am currently working on
I am currently working on the CTA Schema v4.0. It contains 3 main tasks (2 out of 3 are completed):
- Superseded concept replacement with a new Recycle-Bin (Get rid of the superseded concept and replace it with the recycle-bin : #922 (closed))
- Tape lifecycle management (Implement the tape lifecycle logic for CTA v3.2 : #943 (closed))
- Per-VO max drives allowed for read and write (#948 (closed))
Once the issue #948 (closed) will be implemented, I will finish the migration scripts and prepare a procedure to deploy the CTA v3.2 and, after it, CTA v4.0. I also have to document the new features I implemented (eoscta-docs + tapeoperations-docs)
My assigned tickets
There are currently 31 open development tickets assigned to me. The attached cedric_caffy_issues.csv contains the list of all of them: ccaffy_cta_opened_issues_25012021.csv.
There are currently 21 open operation tickets assigned to me. The attached ccaffy_operations_issues_2021-01-25.csv file contains the list of all of them.
I am going to identify the important issues that remain open.
The things I have worked on in the CTA project
- After @cano took over CASTOR, it was decided with @okeeble that I would take the responsibilities for the CTA tapeserver, scheduler and objectstore.
- I was mainly responsible for Repack, some mistakes were corrected but it is still not perfect
Some other things I worked on
- Backpressure: An operator can run an external script instead of running
eos space ls -m
- CERN RAO for non-enterprise drive
- MaintenanceProcess and RepackManagement can be disabled on some tapeservers via a configuration line
- Mount policy in-flight change
- File recycle bin for files deletion (will be replaced in schema v4.0)
- Catalogue schema verification tool (
- File statistics (
The organisation of my departure
CTA Schema v4.0
CTA Schema v4.0 has to be in production before 1st of March 2021.
Tell me if I should do some knowledge transfer and in what form. I believe that Michael (@mdavis) will be the first to take over my role.
The tasks the CTA team would like me to do before I leave
What do you want me to do before I leave ?