This may not be the right thing to worry about and may end up to be somewhat controversial, but it has also been bugging me for a while: So far the
AsgTools library links directly against the google-test libraries, meaning that even in production code any package depending on
AsgTools (which are a lot) will pull in the unit test library as a dependency. Admittedly that is pretty lightweight, but as a dependency it is completely unnecessary for anything except unit tests.
So what I did was split the unit test helpers into a separate package
AsgTesting, and move unit tests from
AsgExampleTools, which already holds some of the
AsgTools unit tests. And then I also fixed up all the packages I broke with that update. Or at least fixed everything up for
AnalysisBase, if there are any more dependencies in the other projects I wouldn't know.