On the data formats...
There were a few informal discussions and ideas thrown about the file formats to use in the longer term. Let's try to formalize it better.
XMLto be minimized as much as possible:
- SOAP calls to be replaced with a JSON API when possible:
- Better unification with the Web interface and reduction of the code duplication
- xDAQ static configuration to be kept to its minimum
YAMLfor the configuration files:
- Hardware layout tree
- Text configuration database
- Possibly application configuration
JSONfor information exchange:
- Web interface
- Import-export of configuration parameters
- Export of the monitorables
cerealbinary format for the RPC calls:
- Can it be replaced with
- Anyway, no duplication of code since the same library would be used for
Then, the data-taking file formats:
GEM DAQdata format within the CMS Raw file format:
numpyarrays for the non-tracking data scans:
- Library: To be developed
CSV-like, but storage hungry
- Could a simple compression of the CSV files be enough?